Our Wedding Day – Part 1

It was finally our wedding day – 23rd May 2009. My alarm went off at 5:30am. Sounds early I know. As we were getting married at the Registry Office, the latest ceremony they would perform was 11:30am and so that was the time we chose. As there were so many people staying at my parents the night before the wedding, I had to be the first up and in the one and only bathroom before anyone else, to make sure that I wasn’t delayed waiting for someone else to finish in the bathroom. I immediately got in the shower and then went to get some breakfast. I didn’t feel much like eating as I was feeling nervous and excited all at the same time.

I was doing my own makeup and I had a friend who was a hairdresser coming to do my hair. I also had to go and pick up the flowers when the florist opened at 9am. It was all go.

My makeup was first on my list as this needed to be done before the hairdresser turned up and she was due at 8:30am. I was sat in the kitchen with a flurry of activity going on around me with people trying to get ready. Suddenly out of nowhere, we heard this loud bang, clatter and shouting. It took a few minutes to figure out what was going on. It turned out that Pete’s step dad had slipped in the shower, tried to break his fall by grabbing the shower curtain and had fallen head first out of the bath taking the whole shower rail with him. I was laughing so hard I was crying……I ended up having to redo my makeup as I had smudged it all. Luckily he wasn’t hurt.

Next came my hair which for the first time in my life was actually behaving itself and was finished in no time at all. We fitted my tiara and veil and I was ready to go and collect my flowers. My oldest sister had come round during all of the madness, with my youngest niece who was going to be a flower girl, and she came with me to pick the flowers up. I certainly got a few stares as I was driving and running up and down the high street in jeans, a vest top, a full face of makeup, a tiara and a veil. I remember feeling like a right idiot ha ha ha.

We got the flowers home and then my sister and my dad took off to the reception venue to drop off the wedding cake and check on the decorations. During this time I dressed my nephew and niece in their page boy and flower girl clothes. They looked absolutely adorable.


The photographer, who was also a work colleague and friend arrived amidst the madness and started taking some pictures.

When my sister and dad got back it was time to put on my dress. My sister came upstairs to help me whilst my mum and dad looked after my niece and nephew and Pete’s mum and step dad made their way to the Registry Office.

Whilst starting to get in my dress I heard the front door open and close. I went downstairs to find out who it was and found the photographer looking after my niece and nephew and my mum and dad were nowhere to be seen. When I asked where they were, the photographer informed me that my other sister had called with an emergency and so my mum and dad had rushed off to find out what was wrong. Luckily the photographer was kind enough to help look after the little ones whilst I finished getting into my dress and my mum and dad were back pretty quickly to take over again. It turned out my other sister was having a hair disaster and needed help. To say I wasn’t impressed was an understatement but I was determined not to let anything upset me that day. I then added the finishing touch….my wedding present from Pete – a Blue Tanzanite and Diamond necklace…..my something new and my something blue.

We had a little time to spare and so my mum asked if we wanted some pink champagne that she had been given as a gift. I’m not a wine or champagne drinker normally but I was a little nervous and so we agreed. Needless to say, we all had a couple of mouthfuls and then tipped it down the sink. It was disgusting ha ha ha. My dad soon replaced my glass with a neat brandy…..I could have kissed him. I drank 2 of those and then it was time to take a few more pictures before heading off to get married. It was strange standing on the street and having people come out of their houses just to have a look at my wedding dress.

Then it was time……..my dad and I got into the car and off we went…….

This slideshow requires JavaScript.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s